Stay Safe Message from BELS
Barnet has had a couple in incidents recently of children being approached by strangers on their way to and from school. Please remember to ensure your children, especially those that travel to and from school unaccompanied by an adult, of the ‘staying safe rules’ when walking home.
9 ways to be safe while walking to school:
1. Look both ways and use zebra crossings.
2. Never assume drivers can see you. Be alert and make eye contact with the driver.
3. Look left, right and left again before crossing the street.
4. Eyes up, phones down.
5. Walk in a group.
6. Walk on pavements or paths.
7. Cross with an adult.
8. Be a good role model.
9. Be visible.
10. GO STRAIGHT HOME
• Never stop to talk to anyone on the way to school or going home from school.
• Ignore any drivers who might slow down to speak to you.
• Never accept a ride from anyone that is not expected to take you home.
• Always tell a trusted adult if something has happened that upsets you or makes you feel uncomfortable.